09 Jun Important Factors to consider for your Diesel Generator Installation
Don’t be left out in the dark. Follow these guidelines to assist you with your Diesel Generator Installation.
PowerStep Power Solutions, Your Partner in Power is ready to advise you.
- An important fact that most people do not know is that Installations need to be undertaken by a qualified electrician, preferably with experience working with large generator sets, as this is a requirement for insurance and for generator warranty purposes.
- Bonded neutral earthing has to be done according to the applicable South African regulations between the generator, Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and mains incoming supply, and this may apply to countries outside South Africa to the local government regulations.
- Communications cable must be of the shielded type to avoid harmonic interference.
- Surge protection is recommended to be installed on the mains incoming feed to avoid the damage of equipment through over voltage, as well as in the situation when an ATS is used, as the ATS is setup to sense voltage dips which switches the ATS.
- The copper cable used must have a cross-diagonal section large enough to handle the amount of current without overheating up as per the South African regulations, and countries outside South Africa to the local government regulations.
- One important point that people often forget is to confirm that the phase rotation is checked during the installation, as this will determine the rotating direction of equipment.
- A Certificate of Compliance (COC) needs to be issued by the electrician after installation has been completed for the handover of the generator.
- The generator must be placed on a surface that will be level and be able to handle the impact of the weight over time, as well as for fuels and oils to be level.
A reinforced concrete slab is recommended especially for large generators.
Basic example of a Diesel Generator Installation done by Tech Services in America
For further information on what Diesel Generators we have for sale, contact PowerStep on 011 021 2891 or go to http://powerstep.co.za/contact-us/
Our Product Range: http://powerstep.co.za/containerized-solutions/