06 Jul 8 ways to choose the correct Diesel Generator for your needs!
PowerStep’s Technical Team is always ready to assist but if you would just like to get an idea first on what sort of Generator you would require you need to follow these basic rules.
There are different methods to selecting a generator that is suitable for your application. The guide below provides a basic approach to assist you in selecting your suitable generator.
1. Have a Load Test performed by an electrician with a power analyser or use the Amps marked on the toggle of the main circuit breaker.
2. Confirm the source voltage of your mains supply voltage, i.e. Single phase 220V or three phase 380-400V
3. Determine what essential loads need to run during a power outage as this will determine the size of the generator.
It is important to size appropriately for heavy use as electric motors can use up to 7x running power to start up. You will need to identify the starting method of the electric motor.
o *See the link to the calculator tool
4. Determine if the generator needs to started manually or automatically during a power outage.
5. If you require the generator to start automatically, an automatic transfer switch will need to be installed, which will switch the load to generator power from the mains supply.
7. De-rate the generator for altitude if needed,for example Gauteng, in South Africa is at 1700 meters above sea level.
8. Find a suitable installation location inside a generator room, or in a demarcated area outside the building.
For more information on what Diesel Generators we have or sale or any assistance call us on 011 021 2891 or contact us:http://powerstep.co.za/contact-us/